Room temperature 48 hours
Vial with no swab present, incorrect swab used, specimens past stability, expired media
24 – 48 hours from receipt at the lab
- Wipe away excess secretions or discharge from the vaginal area.
- Insert the swab into the lower one-third part of the vagina, and sample secretions from the mucosa.
- Insert the same swab approximately 2.5 cm beyond the anal sphincter and rotate to sample anal crypts.
- Immediately place the swab into the transport tube.
- Carefully break the swab shaft at the score line.
- Cap the specimen transport tube tightly, label with two patient identifiers.
Monday – Friday (days)
RT-PCR via LIM broth enrichment