Room temperature; 30 days
Vial with no swab, extra swabs, or incorrect swab submitted; insufficient fluid levels, specimen past stability, expired media
48 – 72 hours from receipt at the lab
- Eswab 480C
- Aptima Multitest Swab
- ThinPrep® Media: Samples are stored at room temperature for thirty days after processing.
- ESwab™ 480C Media: Samples are stored at room temperature for two weeks after processing.
- SurePath™ Media: Samples are stored at room temperature for thirty days after processing.
- Aptima® Multitest Media: Samples can be stored at room temperature until expiration date.
- AveroSwab: Samples are stored refrigerated for thirty days after processing.
SUREPATH PAP VIAL COLLECTION
- Collect the cytology sample using either a broom-like device or combination brush/plastic spatula with detachable heads.
- Using the thumb and forefinger of gloved hand(s), disconnect the head of the device from the handle, insert the head in the collection vial. Discard the handle of the sampling device. Do not touch head of device(s).
- Cap the vial tightly.
- Send the specimen containing the head(s) of the sampling device(s), with appropriate paperwork, to the laboratory for PrepStain® processing.
THINPREP PAP VIAL COLLECTION
- Collect gynecological sample from the cervix/endocervix using a broom-type or cytobrush/spatula sampling device.
- Twirl or swish device into a ThinPrep vial containing PreservCyt Transport medium. Discard collection device, do not leave in vial.
- Cap the vial tightly and label with two patient identifiers.
AVEROSWAB/ ESWAB/ APTIMA MULTITEST COLLECTION
Wash hands before starting.
- Partially peel open swab package. Do not touch the soft tip or lay swab down. If the soft tip is touched, laid down, or dropped, request a new collection kit. Hold swab, placing thumb and forefinger in the middle of the swab shaft over the score line.
- Carefully insert swab into the inside opening of the vagina, about two inches, and gently rotate swab for 10 to 30 seconds. Make sure swab touches the walls of the vagina so that moisture is absorbed by swab. Withdraw swab without touching skin.
- While holding swab in hand, unscrew the tube cap. Do not spill tube contents. If the tube contents are spilled, request a new collection kit. Immediately place swab into transport tube so that the tip of the swab is visible below the tube label. Carefully break swab shaft at the score line against the side of the tube.
- Tightly screw cap onto tube. Label tube with two patient identifiers (name and date of birth). Return tube as instructed by care provider.
Monday – Friday (days)
Nucleic acid amplification